Sunday, May 15, 2005

Check your YOs...

I am hesitant to make this post because I don't want people to think that I am being critical, but I just want to point out to some who are new at knitted lace that the YO is important to having the scarf look like the finished picture on the pattern. In particular, if you either (1) wrap the yarn in the wrong direction; or (2) purl into the back of the stitch on the purl row; you will get a different result. There will still be a small hole where the YO stitch is, but it will not be the same. It's hard to tell from the pictures on this blog because some people are pinning their scarves out wide and some are not, but Ijust want to challenge you to be aware of your YO technique. Here is an animation of a YO from Knitting Patterns for Toys.

I think that this scarf will turn out really lovely regardless, as long as you keep your technique consistent throughout. The important thing is to know that what you are doing is a little different than what is specified in the directions. This will be increasingly important when you move on to other lace patterns that may not look so good with small alterations on the pattern.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Good point. I have seen (on other sites) some scarves that just don't look quite right. I do think it is the YOs that are causing it.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Melisa said...

Yep, my mom was doing her yos wrong in a lace project, recently, and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was. It did look different.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

This is actually a reply about "seeing double": I am making the scarf wider, also, but only 1 1/2 wide, instead of 2x.
Did you join the sections with a knit? Did you have to add or subtract any CO stitches?
I felt more comfortable replying to this post, since there seems to be 'other' interests on the 'SD?' comments!:)
Thank you!
Amy

8:16 PM  
Blogger greengirl said...

Amy--
Hmm, I must've missed that questionable post. It's (thankfully) been deleted now. I posted some more information on the SD post. Let me know if you have any more questions.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home