Monday, July 11, 2005

Splicing SOS

hello all --

I should introduce myself before I launch into the reason for my post. My name is Christina and I've been knitting for about a year now, after a stalled attempt at an all-acrylic garter stitch scarf several years ago.

I'm 14 pattern repeats into Branching Out, my first true lace project. I'm being boring and making it out of the same pink Douceur et Soie as is used for one of the sample scarves in the pattern. My excuses are that I thought it was just perfect in that fluffy pink and it was also just right for the person I am making it for.

My problem is this: I hit a break in the Douceur et Soie that was knotted together. I've already cut the knot out, so I'm ready to join in the "new" yarn, but don't know how to do an invisible join on a lace project. I don't want to do a normal join and weave in the ends, as it will show. Encouraged by Janina's success with her first spit splice, I attempted my first spit splice -- for about a half an hour -- before I gave up and decided I needed to flag down some more experienced advice.

The book I was using as a reference doesn't state that the spit splice will only work with certain yarns, but I am wondering if the Douceur et Soie just will not splice together that way. I was able to separate it into 3 plies, but they are just tiny little threads really and they don't seem to want to stay twisted together. And when I do have them twisted together -- albeit insecurely -- the lovely mohair halo is missing from that one spot.

I certainly haven't ruled out the possibility that I'm just doing it wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is exactly why I like attempting new things on knit-a-longs. :o)

kind regards,
Christina

6 Comments:

Blogger Lu said...

I would start using the new thread at the beginning of a row and weave ends in. I never join with a lace project.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Janina in Red Deer said...

Hello...if your yarn is mostly animal fibre, it should spit splice well. The person who gave me instructions on it said, after spitting on and overlapping the plies on your palm, take the heel of your other hand and roll the yarn back and forth-- like making a snake out of clay. The idea is to felt the fibres together, you want to feel heat and friction while doing this. Then take the yarn, pinch it at the beginning of the felted bit, and twist it in the direction of your plies. Twist it tight, and hold it firm for at least 30 seconds. Then, give that yarn a good snap! This is to sort of help set the twist into it. It also lets you see if the join is firm and strong. The yarn is slightly thicker at that point, but not noticable at all when it is knitted up.
I have used this successfully on both alpaca and Silky Wool. give it a try-- if you don't like it, you can always cut out the join and use a different method.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Janina in Red Deer said...

Ps.. I forgot to say, this was from a lace knitter who uses this join exclusively in her work.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

thanks to you both! I will attempt the splice again, and if I can't get it, I won't feel too terrible about weaving the ends in. I just want to get going again. :o)

12:39 AM  
Blogger Janina in Red Deer said...

Hi again...If you decide to weave the ends in, remember to leave the ends until after you have blocked out the scarf. Otherwise, they may come undone in the stetching.

If you try the splice, try to time it so the join is used on the back/purl row. It won't show hardly at all then. I don't think you can avoid the join being unfluffy, but on the back rows it won't matter.

I'm on the final ball for my scarf! Yay, the end is in sight!
Janina in Red Deer

11:35 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'll have to dig it out and see what row I'm on. I can always tink back if I'm not about to start a purl row. I can't wait to get past this little speedbump, but I've been a little afraid to try the splicing again. haha...how silly. :o)

can't wait to see pix of your finished scraf, Janina! thanks again for helping me along.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home