Monday, February 27, 2006

Two Down!!!


A few days ago I posted a pic of my first partially complete Branching Out. I inquired here about trying a second with Douceur et Soie. After a few ill-fated attempts, I scrapped that idea and purchased some Frog Tree Alpaca fingering weight yarn and started a second scarf with that.

Inspired by the Harlot and others, I decided to try and double my original Olympic goal. (Since I finished the first B.O. only halfway through the Olympics I felt guilty and obligated to keep going. There was another reason...keep reading.) I finished Saturday and had it blocked before the closing ceremonies.

Anyway, here they are. The green one is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, and the blue one is Frog Tree Alpaca. Both on US size 8 needles, 27 and 30 pattern repeats, respectively.

OhByTheWay: Three repeats from the end of the first B.O. I had a moment of enlightenment and realized I was DOING THE DAMN YARNOVERS WRONG!!!! The purists among you would have frogged the whole thing and started over. I rationalized that the pattern was more or less "emerging" and that as long as I remained consistent, it would be OK. So I finished it. The second one is done correctly, and it was in some way pay back for the faux pas on the first. Wrong yarnovers don't make me a bad person, just a crappy knitter :^)

This was my first attempt at lace. I already have the ingredients for a bigger lace project, so I guess it wasn't too bad once I got the hang of it. I have to say that the invention of the "lifeline" is right up there with fire and the integrated circuit!

8 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

They're both lovely! I've looked at the Frog Tree alpaca at my LYS and been very tempted to try it. Did you like it?

Congrats on making two Branching Outs!!!!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Marlene said...

To answer Bonnie's question - the Frog Tree was nice to work with. Lighter weight and a little more challenging than the Silky Wool, but no way near as challenging as the Douceur et Soie. (I'm impressed by the people who can work with that...maybe someday for me.) I actually bought some sport weight Frog Tree Alpaca to use for my next move up the lace knitting food chain - the Leaf Lace Shawl.

7:54 PM  
Blogger smariek said...

Both your scarves are beautiful!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

They both are gorgeous! Congratulations on finishing two!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Your scarves are lovely. I am wearing my nice new branching out scarf today. I knit mine in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport "Tahoe". If I do say so myself, it is beautiful!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Lindy said...

May I disagree - wrong YO's do not make you a crappy knitter - they make you a new designer.

Both scarves are beautiful - you may just want to write notes to yourself regarding the pattern using the "new design" YO's.

Lindy

3:38 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Oh, that's reassuring...I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was six repeats into my first BO, wondering why it didn't look like the picture, when I finally realized that I have been doing YO's wrong my entire knitting life.

Mine looked really strange though, so I frogged it!

They are both beautiful. :)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love the colors you chose, just beautiful!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home