Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Branching out branches overseas


My branching out scarf is headed across the Big Pond this month. A dear friend, Kate, will be leaving to go to Ireland with her husband and daughter. Kate's husband is originally from Ireland and they will make it their permanent home.

I began Branching out this Spring, my first venture into lace knitting. I happened upon the pattern after trying to do the Kiri Shawl and found it was bigger than I could handle at the moment. So I started something smaller, and Branching Out seemed the perfect project for my kid mohair. Little did I know that it proved to be a challenge, not only from the standpoint of the pattern, but the mohair was the devil to tink.

Alas, I did not let this defeat me and this one seemed destined to go to a special person. Kate and I had a farewell dinner, just the two of us at a local eatery. I knew that all of her worldly possessions had already been shipped by boat.

They leave for Ireland next Monday. The scarf goes with her. She has promised to take a picture of her wearing the scarf when she gets to Ireland.

I have enough mohair to make another one. I think another one is in our future. "Our" meaning the needles and me. One Branching Out scarf has gone to a very good place.

Kate, while I knit the next one, you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you embark on a new life with wonderful opportunities. Godspeed.
Cathy

1 Comments:

Blogger Kamigaeru said...

I think that is one of the most precious things you can give a friend, something you made by hand especially for them. I'm sure she'll cherish it! Lovely work.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home