Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hello and Help!

Hello,

First, I'd like to thank Yarner from knitty.com for sending me her Silky Wool yarn. I've tried this pattern about 6 or 7 times now and it is definitely showing up better on the Silky Wool than my initial attempts on alpaca yarn.

I've sat and analyzed a bunch of knitting clips/videos online and it appears I am doing everything right on the pattern instructions. But after looking at the scarves that some of you have finished, I realized that something is going wrong w/mine. The "holes" in my scarf aren't as pronounced, thus the leaves don't really stand out in the pattern and they sort of blend into the background.

I hope Lizzie doesn't mind that I'm going to borrow a part of her picture for this! (Your scarf is coming out pretty fantastic btw.)



As you can see in Lizzie's scarf, the blue and orange pieces are 'twisted' together. All of those corresponding parts are nice and twisted which is why the "holes" are nicely formed. On my scarf however, my 2 pieces aren't twisted. So if you were looking at my scarf the 'blue' and 'orange' pieces would be separate and side by side. This is why my "holes" aren't as defined.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm not an advanced knitter so I don't know what part of the pattern I'm messing up on. I hope my post at least makes some sense and that someone will be able to help me out on this.

Many thanks in advance!

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Hey!
I'm not sure, because I'm not that experienced with lace, but it may be that when you are doing your "ssk" you are slipping the stitches from the left needle onto the right purlwise rather than knitwise. Could that be it? I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but when I go home tonight I'll look at it and try to figure it out.

Don't get frustrated! As soon as you figure it out, you'll be having so much fun with this pattern!

Hope I can help,
Lizzie

P.S.- I'm very flattered that you used my scarf in your post, thanks!

3:04 PM  
Blogger townjuice said...

Thanks for the suggestion; I thought it was my ssk too so I found a clip of it online to double check and I've been doing it correctly. I don't want to give up on this scarf but it's really wearing on my patience.

4:27 PM  
Blogger fert said...

hmm... what i could think of...

the orange would be the yarn over, the blue would be from the purl row...

when you are doing your yarn overs, do you yarn over from front to back or back to front? (it should go: yarn starts in back, goes under right needle, over the top of right needle and goes back).

try purling through the back loop (which would be the blue yarn in the image). if that helps the problem it might be an issue of *leg use*...

good luck! hope that helps :D

5:52 PM  
Blogger townjuice said...

Hey Fert, problem solved!!! It was my purling that was the issue. I think I was mixing Continental purling w/English knitting and that was making it look all strange. It's fixed now so thank you for the suggestion!

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home