Saturday, July 09, 2005

Bamboo Out

Bamboo Out
Pattern: Branching Out by Susan Pierce Lawrence via Knitty
Yarn: Eden by Madil 100% Bamboo in color #626 109 yds per ball, just under 2 balls.
Needles: Addi Turbo size 8 US

Pattern review: Very easy lace pattern. If you're not used to working with lace weight yarn I would suggest a DK or sport weight yarn. The pattern itself is very logical and produces a wonderful open scarf.

Yarn Review: Heavy for it's size. Very easy to work with as long as you don't split it. A little bit loose on the needles, and this from a 'tight' knitter. Not much elasticity, but it's not really needed. Very slippery yarn that moves nicely on Addi Steel needles. The Bamboo makes this yarn very silky and wonderful to knit with. Blocking is easy, gentle tugs is all it takes to shape it. No visible signs of damage when washed, and it retained its color very well. I will be buying more of this yarn since I have fallen completely in love with it.

I loved making this scarf, and with this yarn I didn't want to put it down. I went ahead and memorized the pattern about half way through just to make the other half take less time. (I have a ton of things to do before I leave for vacation, so I had to get this done quickly) This was such a great knit that I've already cast on another one for the car ride from Denver, CO to Galveston, TX in a two stranded lace weight merino wool/alpaca. I thought I would socks in the car, but this is more entertaining. Have fun!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

OK, that's just beautiful. It looks like water falling out of the pitcher. Great job.

7:47 PM  
Blogger smariek said...

Your scarf is beautiful! Is that really yarn made out of bamboo?? I didn't know yarn was made out of that stuff.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Nederlass said...

Wow, love that vibrant colour! It turned out gorgeous.
And bamboo yarn, where'd you find that?

11:40 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

The yarn was actually from my sp, and yes it's 100% bamboo. South West Trading Compnay alsom makes some, but it's not nearly as soft. This yarn is produced by Cascade Yarns, so you might ask the owner of your LYS if she can order some. It costs about $7 US per ball. You can find it online here: http://yarnforward.com/ca/eden.html Thank you, I hope my mom likes the way it turned out too. :)

12:41 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Beautiful job! How many balls of yarn did that take?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home