Thursday, November 17, 2005

Finally Finished!!

It seems as though I have been working on this scarf forever, but finally and gloriously, this morning I finished it! Last night I was working on it and messed up slightly, so I had to rip it back a couple of rows. I was able to get it fixed easily enough, but was angry at it so I put it away until this morning.

I did it a little differently than what the pattern called for. Rather than knitting from start to finish and ending up with the length I wanted, I knit two seperate pieces and grafted them together, so both ends of the scarf look the same, which actually worked quite well, I think. I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm going to kill the arcylic so that the ends are not as wavey, but I'm not sure yet ... nor am I sure exactly how to "kill" acrylic yarn. I used Red Heart Soft yarn on 4.5 mm needles. It's a Christmas gift for my Grandmother. I'm so very glad it's finished.

12 Comments:

Blogger Julianne said...

I tried knitting but it gave me writ pain.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Lauren Ipsum said...

Lovely, Samantha. Your Granmother will be thrilled with that, I'm sure :)

1:38 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks! :)

7:29 AM  
Blogger smariek said...

Oh that is gorgeous! I'm gonna have to try that too.

Do you bind off both sections before grafting? Or do you keep the first one on stitch holders and do a 3 needle bind off?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Smariek - I kept the stitches from the first half on a stitch holder, then when I was done the 2nd half I transferred the stitches from the 1st half back onto the needle and did a Kitchener Stitch to join the two halves.

Here's a link to see how a kitchener stitch is done -- http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/bas-tech-more/kitchener-stitch-rds.mpg

12:55 PM  
Blogger smariek said...

Thanks Samantha!

Just one more little question. When you get to the end of each half, do you just end by finishing Row 10 of the pattern? Or do you finish with Row 10 plus 5 rows of garter stitches?

1:05 PM  
Blogger Bear Knits said...

Samantha - It looks great! I'd love to try that too for a symmetrical scarf. What row do you end for each half? Or do you finish the pattern and a some garter stitch rows?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Beautiful! I like the matching ends. Not sure I'd want to graft 27 sts, though. =)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

So pretty!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It looks lovely, and has made me want to knit like crazy so that I finish mine too.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks everyone!

I just finished with Row 10, though I thought about doing a couple of rows of garter stitch, but didn't ... I like how it turned out, but if I ever make it again I might do a couple of rows of stockingnette stitch (with the garter stitch edge like in the pattern) for the join. It worked out really well. :)

8:58 PM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

I think that it looks great unblocked. The swoop at the bottom makes it more elegant. Great job!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home