Thursday, April 28, 2005

Ptooie!

Well, this scarf is bringing me into all sorts of new experiences. First KAL. First "blogpost'. And now...first spit splice!
Ball number one of Austerman Peru (baby alpaca/merino) knit up into nearly 20 inches of lacey leaves. My LYSO was appropriately encouraging and impressed when I took the work in to brag on it a bit today. :-)
She recommended "spit splice" above other joining methods, and since she spins, I decided to give it a go.
I untwisted, I separated plies, I (ahem) spit up a storm, rolled, twisted and yanked. And the splice was good, and the splice was strong. It held fast, and emerged not much thicker than the two ends it joined. And thusly were two miserable ends to weave in made to disappear from the face of the scarf.
Yay me!
Now that I know how much length one ball will knit into, I can see that the 2 balls I bought are not quite enough. I envision the scarf being draped all the way around the neck, with two long tails hanging down the chest.
And since I will have to order more yarn...why not get enough to make a matching beret?
Have I worked with circular needles or DPNs before, both of which the pattern calls for? Nope. Am I intimidated?
Nah-- I can spit splice!

1 Comments:

Blogger rincaro said...

Congratulations! I think working with circs is easy. Working with dpns is a bit trickier but once you get it, you've got it. :)

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home