Monday, October 17, 2005

Three Needle Bindoff

I'm 1/2 way done my branching out scarf and I had to cut the yarn because of a huge knot in the ball that was somehow created from the time I rewound the yarn to when I needed to knit the yarn. C'est la vie. Anyway, I'm wondering how the branching out scarf would work if I started a new one, worked the same number of repeats (thus creating the 2nd half of the scarf) and then joining the two halves with a 3 needle bindoff. I'm not sure if the pattern makes it so both ends of the scarf are identical when it's finished or not, but I'd like them to be and creating two seperate halves would create that effect for me.

What do you think; will it work or no?

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I think you would definitely have to create separate halves like you suggest in order to have identical ends. To join the two halves, I would personally choose grafting over a three-needle bindoff, but that's just me. Either way, it will be neat to see how yours turns out!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I'd do grafting, but I have absolutely no clue how to do it ... I know that a 3 needle bind off will cause a bump (seam) in the scarf right at the neck. Hmmm. Decisions decisions. Thanks for the imput. :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

There's a great book by Nancie Wiseman called The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques (or something like that) which has my favorite instructions for grafting. It's the only set of instructions that have ever made sense to me. Usually there are instructions for it in the back of Interweave Knits magazine, too.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks! I have Maran Illustrated's Knitting & Crocheting book and checked it ... it has pretty good grafting instructions. I think I'll give it a try! :)

Thanks for the suggestion!! :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger smariek said...

Thanks for the book suggestion. I've never tried grafting before and could use a good reference.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home