Thursday, June 30, 2005

progress pic and lifeline explanation

Hi there! Sorry I didn't get a picture up sooner, but at least I remembered to bring the camera and scarf with me today. I'm now 9 repeats in and going strong.



The weird looking green string is my lifeline - DMC embroidery floss. For the person who asked the other day a lifeline is an extra piece of string/yarn that you run through the live stitches on your needle at a particular point (of your choosing). If you manage to mess up your knitting or a needle falls out the lifeline stops the stitches from unraveling any further so that you pick up and start over again with stitches that you know to be correct. It's recommended to use string/yarn that won't stick to the yarn you're using for the project. I'm using the lime green floss because, really, what else would one use that color of floss for? =) When I started putting in the lifelines I was putting one in every repeat and leaving them there. After about 6 times of doing that I got tired of looking at all the funky green strings on my scarf and removed all but the current one. Now when I get to row 10 I go back and remove the line and reinsert it on the current row. So far it's working beautifully.

4 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Hi. Thanks for letting me know what a lifeline is. I think I'm going to use one ... I ran into my first bit of trouble this morning while I was knitting and had to reverse knit Row 7 on my 12th repeat. That's a hard row to reverse knit. I hope I did it OK. I have the right number of stitches on my needle, I just hope they are they right stitches. Ack!

Your scarf looks great, btw. :)

Happy knitting.

10:49 AM  
Blogger smariek said...

I like your idea of using embroidery floss as your lifeline (is that the same stuff they use for cross stitch?). I've been using an old piece of yarn which is now getting "fuzzy" from use as a lifeline.

I used to put in a lifeline at every repeat (every 10th row). Now I just put it in ever last two 10th rows. I know, it's redundant. But if my last lifeline was bad for whatever reason, then I will always have the penultimate lifeline as a backup to the backup. :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow great idea!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The floss is exactly what's used for cross stitch - nice and smooth. I also do cross stitch and blackwork embroidery on occasion so I had it laying around the house. So far it's working out quite well and is very easy to remove without harming the stitches.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home